Do we really need to go there? Is losing weight the New Year’s resolution that crosses most people’s minds after eating way too many holiday treats? While it would be nice to lose a few extra pounds or more, there are ways we can start living a better life starting with nutrition.
Even though we ate more this holiday than we would like to admit, punishing ourselves with a restrictive diet will only make the torment of dieting even more daunting. This may even make us want food more. The key to change is to take it slowly and add little changes each day until the change you are looking for has happened.
Five key steps to change your diet:
1. Get real! Are you really doing the best that you can with your food choices? Throw out all of the junk food and replace it with healthier options. Sugar filled soda would be better replaced with flavored carbonated water.
2. Research. Find the way of eating that you think you and your family would enjoy that includes healthier options.
3. Be prepared. When you leave the house bring a healthy snack with you so that you won’t be tempted to grab anything that is first available in a hunger attack. Also, don’t make last minute dinner decisions. Since you’ve researched this new diet you now have multiple options to choose from. If you know that you will have a late night at the office prepare your meal in advance and store it in the freezer or refrigerator so that it will be ready to eat when you come home.
4. Be patient. Lasting change takes time. Have patience with yourself and this new lifestyle will provide all the benefits you have been looking for.
5. Make it a family affair. You can have other members of the family help with the preparation so that they can feel like they are a part of this change as well.
Enjoy you New Year!